Welcome to Monroe County Medical Society
From MCMS Executive Director Nancy Adams: After 34 years of dedicated service to Monroe County Medical Society physicians and their staffs, Ginny Ruderman is retiring. Ginny has served in various roles during her tenure at MCMS, most recently as the Membership/Support Services Coordinator, which includes staffing the MCMS Medical Scholarship Fund. With her leadership and support, the scholarship program has grown and thrived, the Ask the Carrier program has also grown with nearly 400 attendees in 2015, and the MCMS membership remains one of the strongest of all the county medical societies in NYS.Please join me in congratulating Ginny on her retirement and thanking her for outstanding service.
CMS welcomes ICD-10 http://1.usa.gov/1OJHN4D
- Tinnitus expert Richard Salvi, PhD will discuss "Hearing Loss and Some of Its Disabling Consequences Such as Tinnitus and Loudness Intolerance" on Tues., Oct. 6 at 5:45 pm at the Rochester Academy of Medicine. This event is free and sponsored by the Rochester Chapter of the Hearing Loss Association of America. Click here for flyer.
- It is with great sadness that we report the passing of Thomas Cardillo, MD, former MCMS Executive Director and President. Click here for letter from MCMS Executive Director Nancy Adams.
- Rochester Regional Health presents its Bernard Brody, MD Lecture on The Amygdala and the Stethoscope: How Emotions Affect the Practice of Medicine on Tuesday, Oct. 6, 2015 from 8‐9 am at Unity Hospital's Education Center. Featured Speaker is Danielle Ofri, M.D., Ph.D., Associate Professor of Medicine, New York University School of Medicine. More info.
- NYS Workmen's Compensation Chair Announces Adoption of ICD-10 Starting on October 1, 2015
- Excellus BCBS Offers Protection for Affected Individuals Following Cyberattack
- New Federal Communications Commission's Ruling Affects Medical Debt Collecting, from Kern Augustine Conroy & Schoppmann, PC.
- Nearly 9 out of 10 upstate NYers have no medical reason to have their vitamin D levels tested, yet health care providers and patients continue to frequently request the test, according to an analysis released by Excellus BlueCross BlueShield. Click here to view Vitamin D Recommendations from MCMS' Quality Collaborative.
Physicians who are participating in the Medicaid based DSRIP through the local FLPPS will receive a physician agreement soon. Kern, Augustine, Conroy and Schoppmann, on behalf of MCMS, performed a legal review of the document. Comments can be found by logging into the Member area of the MCMS web site. Additional information about DSRIP and FLPPS can be found at http://flpps.org/.
Show Your MCMS Membership With A Member Badge! Post the badge on your website, in print materials, and in your email signature.Show that you stand with us in advocating for issues for the betterment of the medical profession; you belong to a professional organization committed to the health of our community.
The Medical Scholarship Fund of Monroe County Medical Society is hosting a Silent Auction and $1,000 prize drawing at Temple B’rith Kodesh on Tues., October 20, 2015 from 6 to 8 pm. Special auction for Abby Wamback memorabilia. To purchase tickets or for more info, contact Ginny Ruderman at (585) 473-4072 or email@example.com. Click for flyer.
Snort. Sniffle. Sneeze. No Antibiotics Please, a CDC brochure for parents explains the difference between bacteria and viruses, what antibiotics are, and how bacteria become resistant. It also answers FAQs about when a child does or does not need an antibiotic.
URMC is presenting a 4-day retreat-like workshop, "Mindful Practice: Enhancing Quality of Care, Quality of Caring and Resilience", Oct. 14-17, 2015 at Chapin Mill Retreat Center, Batavia, NY. Registration info.
CMS Will Reimburse ICD-10 Mistakes During First Year After Transition - StateLaw Q&A from Kern Augustine Conroy & Schoppmann, P.C.
Physician and writer Abraham Verghese describes our strange new world where patients are merely data points, and calls for a return to the traditional one-on-one physical exam. Click here to see video on TedTalks.
MCMS is offering the MCMS Physician Network -- a new advertising opportunity, designed with physician members in mind for the purpose of referrals. Click here for more details. Contact Carol Burke at with any questions.
MCMS has updated the Doctor-Patient Confidentiality for Minors brochure. Click here to download.
- NGS Medicare Revalidation
- New publications and resources on opioid and heroin abuse can be ordered free of charge for patients and parents on the NYS website.
- MMWR: New ACIP recommendations on intervals between PCV13 and PPSV23 pneumococcal vaccines. Co-authored by MCMS member Nancy Bennett, MD 1.usa.gov/1g7ZUCf
- Important notice from the NYS Dept of Health regarding new school immunization requirements.
- New flu vaccine recommendations. Prevention and Control of Influenza with Vaccines from the ACIP for 2015-16. http://1.usa.gov/1N6W7CH
- For the 2015-2016 flu season, ACIP recommends annual influenza vaccination for everyone 6 months and older with either LAIV or IIV, with no preference expressed for either vaccine when either one is otherwise appropriate. See additional information here.
- Updated NYSDOH Meningococcal B, HPV9, Influenza and Yellow Fever vaccine recommendations.
- CDC's new 2015 recommended immunization schedules for children http://1.usa.gov/1zzDanr & adolescents http://1.usa.gov/1yNGSrk
- MCMS Vaccination Statement
- CDC Health Advisory: Updated information and guidelines for evaluation of patients for Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) infection.
- CDC Health Advisory: CDC continues to receive new reports of infections with Shigella strains that are not susceptible to ciprofloxacin and/or azithromycin, the antimicrobial agents most commonly used to treat shigellosis.
Monroe County Medical Society
7th District Branch of the Medical Society of the State of New York
Serving Monroe, Livingston, Ontario, Seneca, Steuben, Wayne & Yates Counties
The Park at Allens Creek
132 Allens Creek Road
Rochester, New York 14618
Tel: (585) 473-7573 • Fax: (585) 473-7641
Contact Us • Driving Directions
© Copyright 2014 Monroe County Medical Society • Legal Disclaimer and Copyright Notice
Rochester skyline image © Sheridan Vincent