Welcome to Monroe County Medical Society
Physician Advocacy Day is Wed., March 8, 2017 in Albany. Join your colleagues from across NYS to lobby elected leaders in person! Register and view agenda.
“Promoting Lung Cancer Early Detections to Optimize Patient Outcomes”, presented by the American Lung Association of the Northeast, in partnership with MCMS, will be held on Thursday, March 9, 2017 from 5:30 to 8:30 pm at The RIT Inn & Conference Center. Attend to learn more about: lung cancer evidence to support lung cancer screening guidelines; the management of lung nodules; medical surveillance needs for lung cancer survivors. Register here.
URMC's 5th Regional Stroke Management Symposium takes place on Thurs., March 30, 2017 at the Hyatt Regency. Registration information.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Registration and Attestation System is now open. Providers participating in the Medicare EHR Incentive Program must attest to the 2016 program requirements by February 28, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. ET in order to avoid a 2018 payment adjustment. The EHR reporting period was any continuous 90 days between January 1 and December 31, 2016.
ICD-10 glitch leads CMS to relax physician quality penalties. The CMS issued a 2-year pass to physicians and group practices due to a glitch with quality reporting measures based on a recent update to the ICD-10 diagnosis and procedure codes. Only certain specialties and procedures will be impacted by this waiver of negative payment adjustments. The majority of ICD-10-CM coding changes that impacted 2016 PQRS measures were related to diabetes, pregnancy, cardiovascular, oncology, mental health and eye disease diagnosis. In addition, it will be up to CMS to decide if the payment adjustment should or should not be applied. CMS will perform an analysis after the close of the 2016 PQRS reporting period and CMS will review the submissions to determine which group practices and EPs were negatively impacted by the ICD-10-CM coding changes. More info.
Final Section 1557 Rule - Nondiscrimination in Health Care Programs and Activities, by Donald Moy, Esq., Kern Augustine PC.
Antibiotic Resistance Resources: The use of antibiotics is the single most important factor leading to antibiotic resistance and antibiotics are among the most commonly prescribed drugs used in human medicine. To assist you in your efforts to educate your patients about proper prescribing, the Monroe County Department of Public Health and the Monroe County Medical Society developed a poster for use in exam and waiting rooms. The poster succinctly communicates needed information on bacteria and viruses and can be printed in either 8 1/2 x 11 or 11/17. There are numerous other promotional products at CDC's web site. If you are interested in further exploring this topic see information at cdc.gov/getsmart/index.html
- Quality Payment Program slides from CMS.
- The AMA is offering several educational opportunities to help physicians understand the requirements of the new QPP that was created by MACRA. The sessions have been scheduled to give physicians an understanding of what the final rule means for their practice and what they need to do as part of the QPP. More info.
- Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) Quality Payment Program Final Rule - AMA Summary (Oct. 17, 2016), including notes where key improvements were made to the policies set forth in the original proposed rule.
- Overview of Advocacy Results on Major MACRA Rule Provisions, from AMA.
- Electronic Prescribing FAQs - updated Oct 2016
- 9/20/16 - E-Prescribing Bill Signed by Governor Cuomo
- DOH process for use of e-Rx Exemptions
- E-prescribing mandate reminder from the NYS Department of Health
- Letter from the NYS Commissioner of Health to practitioners and pharmacists regarding additional temporary exceptions to the electronic prescribing mandate (effective March 27, 2016). For additional information regarding e-prescribing, visit the Bureau of Narcotic’s webpage.
- E-Prescribing Waiver Applications Now Available from BNE
- StatLaw® Q&A re: e-prescribing waiver, from Kern Augustine Conroy & Schoppmann
- 2016 PQRS educational materials are available from CMS.
- PQRS Tipsheet - Incentive Eligibility & 2016 Negative Payment Adjustment
Medicare Part D
- Effective June 1, 2016, Medicare Part D prescriptions will only be covered if the prescriber is enrolled in Medicare or has a valid opt-out affidavit on file with Medicare. If you are not enrolled in Medicare and wish to do so, you will need to complete the necessary enrollment through the PECOS system or complete a 855o form and mail to CMS at National Government Services, Inc., P.O. Box 7149, Indianapolis, IN 46207-7149.
NYSDOH is offering a 4-hour medical use of marijuana course. Practitioners who wish to register with the Department and certify their patients for the Medical Marijuana Program must complete this course. The course covers: the pharmacology of marijuana; contraindications; side effects; adverse reactions; overdose prevention; drug interactions; dosing; routes of administration; risks and benefits; warnings and precautions; and abuse and dependence. Cost: $249. Practitioners will earn 4.5 hours of CME credit upon successful completion of the course. Access the course here.
- ICD-10 - Next Steps for Providers Assessment & Maintenance Toolkit, from CMS
- CMS Will Reimburse ICD-10 Mistakes During First Year After Transition - StateLaw Q&A from Kern Augustine Conroy & Schoppmann, P.C.
- CMS welcomes ICD-10
- ACIP updates recommendations on HPV, HepB, MenB vaccines
- Interim recommendations of the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) regarding the use of FluMist® Quadrivalent for the 2016-2017 season.
- LAIV is not recommended for 2016-2017 Flu Season. Many practices have already ordered influenza vaccine for the 2016-2017 season. If you are interested in canceling your order(S) for LAIV, contact your vaccine distributor. See chart for helpful info.
- 2016 ACIP Recommended Immunization Schedules, Age 0 through 18. Summary of changes in schedule from 2016 to 2016.
- MMWR: New ACIP recommendations on intervals between PCV13 and PPSV23 pneumococcal vaccines. Co-authored by MCMS member Nancy Bennett, MD 1.usa.gov/1g7ZUCf
- Important notice from the NYS Dept of Health regarding new school immunization requirements.
- Updated NYSDOH Meningococcal B, HPV9, Influenza and Yellow Fever vaccine recommendations.
- MCMS Vaccination Statement
- CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain
- New publications and resources on opioid and heroin abuse can be ordered free of charge for patients and parents on the NYS website
- Meaningful Use Hardship Exemption Fact Sheet, from AMA.
- 2016 EHR Negative Payment Adjustment Tipsheet for Eligible Professionals, from CMS. More info here.
- The NYS Workers’ Compensation Board is creating a web-based Medical Portal, enabling users to submit medical information electronically The first phase of the Medical Portal will be for the electronic submission of C-4-AUTH, MG-1, and MG-2 medical authorization treatment requests. They will be holding 1-hour webinars to demonstrate the Portal.
- Snort. Sniffle. Sneeze. No Antibiotics Please, a CDC brochure for parents explains the difference between bacteria and viruses, what antibiotics are, and how bacteria become resistant. It also answers FAQs about when a child does or does not need an antibiotic.
Show Your MCMS Membership With A Member Badge! Post the badge on your website, in print materials, and in your email signature.Show that you stand with us in advocating for issues for the betterment of the medical profession; you belong to a professional organization committed to the health of our community.
Physicians who are participating in the Medicaid based DSRIP through the local FLPPS will receive a physician agreement soon. Kern, Augustine, Conroy and Schoppmann, on behalf of MCMS, performed a legal review of the document. Comments can be found by logging into the Member area of the MCMS web site. Additional information about DSRIP and FLPPS can be found at http://flpps.org/.
- NGS Medicare Revalidation
- Hand Hygiene Guidelines for healthcare settings.
- Cover Your Cough poster.
- Updated - CMS Medicare Learning Network preventive medicine guide/chart (online) and pdf summary.
- Section 1557 of the Patient Protection and ACA Prohibits Discrimination; Regulations Issued by HHS, provided by Donald Moy, Esq. Kern Augustine, PC.
- Appendix A to Part 92 - Sample notice informing individuals about nondiscrimination
- Nondiscrimination statement for significant publications and signification communications that are small size
- Appendix B to Part 92 - Sample tagline informing individuals with limited English Proficiency of language assistance services
- Top 15 Non-English Languages in NYS, from CMS
- Translated resources for covered entities, from HHS
Monroe County Medical Society
7th District Branch of the Medical Society of the State of New York
Serving Monroe, Livingston, Ontario, Seneca, Steuben, Wayne & Yates Counties
The Park at Allens Creek
132 Allens Creek Road
Rochester, New York 14618
Tel: (585) 473-7573 • Fax: (585) 473-7641
Contact Us • Driving Directions
© Copyright 2016 Monroe County Medical Society • Legal Disclaimer and Copyright Notice
Rochester skyline image © Sheridan Vincent